Wednesday, March 18, 2009

One life to another.

In pursuing grand endeavors, one will always crash into hardship. I knew that this trip would be close to nothing as I imagined. I also knew that rough times might occur just as much as unforgettable ones. People usually dodge hardship on "vacations" and the likes because small trips can be planned out completely, with almost no error. The norm for a vacation comprises of living well and briefly in as many areas as possible. Vacations are nice yes, but do not do much in regards to cracking our shells that keep us from feeling other cultures. There is no chance for an full understanding of another way of life when your just passing through. Plush hotel rooms will keep you close to home and far from truth. My mistake has been the idea that this trip was to be a vacation of some sort. I realized this folly upon frying pan bang that came with the complete immerse into English lifestyle. It's been a shocking experience that I hadn't given much prior thought too. In my pompous days before leaving, I jested over the joy I felt towards leaving a car behind me. These past few day's of being utterly lost in the cold, unsympathetic streets has made me think otherwise. I have wandered hours into the wrong direction, cursing myself for my lack of awareness. Yet, how ridiculous to blame myself! As if I should know these streets like I know the ones at home is one example of the mindset I am trying to purge myself of. It's been entirely humbling to walk into a convenient store, explain my hopeless situation, and let someone help me...no matter how much it kills my foolish pride. Once I get my bearings I believe I will feel more comfortable about all of this..and I sure as hell appreciate the car I have at home.

So..public transportation has been somewhat of a difficulty thus far. On the account that I live furthest from town and school than anyone else has been bothersome as well. In order to remedy the trouble I have had, I adventured to buy bike this morning. Everything seemed absolutely perfect as I cruised from town to school with little effort and time. That was until the expensive bike's pedals snapped off in the middle of the main road. I was launched directly into the path of a bus, who God thank you slammed its breaks on and didn't end my life right then. I write all this with a weary smirk, trying to laugh at how it might of looked. Scraped up with too much adrenaline, I walked the hour home..no money for a bus or cab. I do not mean to sound ungrateful. On the contrary, I am glad to experience the beautiful and the ugly here. It is in both that a life can change.
Basically, this is no vacation or trip. It is change from one life to another, where beauty and ugly come in all different forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment